Maya’s Mysteries: Growing Love
“In the garden of thy heart plant naught but the rose of love . . .”
From apples to roses, it’s fun to plant a garden, then experience different sights, scents, and tastes. Sowing seeds of service in your family and community also brings many fruits. When you help a sibling, clean a playground, or donate to charity, your actions can blossom into unity or joy. You’ll help weed out selfishness and conflict. Using tools of kindness and compassion, you’ll feel happier and more connected to those around you. You may inspire others to tend the garden of giving, too.
Put your spirit of service into action with the fun challenge below. Check out ways you and your family and friends can grow more love in the world!
Seeds of Service Challenge
See how many seeds you and your family and friends can plant in the next two weeks. Add your own ideas.
Start by: ______________ Finish by: _______________
- Call or write a note to thank someone who has helped you.
- Give your time or money to a charity that inspires you.
- Help a sibling or friend with a project he or she is working on.
- Tell a joke to make someone laugh.
- Respectfully listen to a friend talk about something that’s important to him or her.
- Contact someone just to hear about what’s happening with him or her.
- Praise someone for doing something kind.
- Stand up for someone who is being bullied.
- Do something kind for someone who is having a hard time.
- Ask your parents how you can be helpful at home.
- Pick up trash in the park or playground.
- Plant some flowers, vegetables, or a tree.
- Help care for a friend’s pet.
- Smile and say hi to the new kid.
- Let your friend choose the game you play.
- Spend time with someone who is lonely.
- Help a parent or teacher clean up a mess.
- Share a favorite treat with someone.
For a printable version, download a PDF of this activity.Maya88 Maya’s Mysteries64 Characters301 Service183 Love62 Happiness53 Kindness82